Introduction

Welcome and thanks for stopping by! For now this page is a collection of bikes that I like, my opinion on each bike, and technical data for those of you that care. Let me know if you'd like me to put up something on your bike, and if you have pictures, I'll put them up! Thanks for looking!

$

My Bike

My Bike
So much fun to ride!

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Yamaha V Star Custom


This is a Yamaha V Star Custom. The V Stars for Yamaha are kind of like the Shadows for Honda - there are like three or four bikes with the same basic "V Star" or "Shadow" name that have minor differences. The V Star Custom is one that I'd like for a second bike maybe in a year or so. It has a 650cc engine, so it would be quite a bit more powerful than the 250cc I have right now, but still not insanely powerful. I just read about a bike three days ago that has a 2300cc engine!! That's insane - I just don't see how you'd need that much power! I mean, a decent cruiser like this V Star only has 650, why would you need almost four times that much? Plus really the more power you put in the bike, the lower the gas mileage goes. Case in point, my Rebel gets (literally) 66 miles/gallon. The V Star gets around 41 miles/gallon. When you compare gas tank sizes, this one will still go about 50 more miles on one tank than mine can, but you see what I mean about the mpg/engine size ratio.

It's still a beautiful bike though. Nice amount of chrome, and you can get it in all black if preferred. It still has a low seat height of 27 inches, so it's easy to get both feet planted on the ground. I sat on a Buell sport bike at a Harley dealership, and could barely touch my toes to the ground. Some people I guess appreciate that, but I couldn't do it for long. A neat feature of the V Star Custom is that the rear shock is concealed. If you take a look at the five other bikes on the page so far, you'll see the rear shocks located below and behind the seat. I don't think they're ugly, and I'm not saying this is better, but it is interesting. Dry weight is 474 pounds, and overall length is 92 inches. All in all, a very nice bike.
$

1 comment:

SrgtBear said...

Decent comparison. I own a VStar 650 Custom. I will have go against what you mentioned earlier about the power difference. I ridden my friends 250c Suzuki and I also own a 125cc Dual-Sport. The low end torque difference is very drastic when jumping off a 250 and getting on a 650. I love the bike, but like any bike you will out grow it. I've only had my V Star for 5 months and I am already looking to upgrade in engine size, especially after ridding my friends Suzuki GSX-R. My ideal bike would be a Victory Hammer in Candy Red or Orange, but the Harley Rocker-C looks like it might be closer to my range with the big price tag.